Great project planning is one that relies heavily on the formation of reliable short-term plans; reliable short-terms that tightly couple with the long-term plans so that superintendents, engineers, subs, project managers, executives, and owners are all on the same page with the big picture of progress on their site.
Reconstruct allows superintendents to rely on a simple, easy-to-use web interface to create additional master schedule activities, as well as lookahead tasks under each master schedule activities.
When involved in larger modification sessions such as creating numerous activities or tasks, Reconstruct supports the creation of these activities and tasks through CSV spreadsheet uploads, which automatically tie tasks to their corresponding master schedule activities.
Creating Master Schedule Activities
To create additional activities as part of your master schedule, whether it is to add a new additional scope of work, or create your schedule directly in Reconstruct, go into Edit mode, click on the "Extras" button made visible over any activity when in edit mode, and select "Add Master Schedule Activity":
You will be prompted to add relevant details of the activity being created. You must give it a name, ID, and specify its start and end dates to be able to save it into your schedule:
Creating Look-Ahead Tasks
Diving deeper into more specific details about the execution of any master schedule activities, look-ahead tasks allows you to further expand the granularity defined by your current master schedule activity. From recording weekly look ahead plans to dividing an activity by location, look-ahead tasks allows the team to execute lean practices. To add a look-ahead task, click on the "Extras" button of the desired parent master schedule activity, and select "Add a look-ahead task". Enter the details of the task, similar to how it is done when creating master schedule activities:
As a good practice, create a task ID that contains the parent activity ID followed by a "period" and any other character (e.g. Master activity ID: 010; Look-ahead Task ID: 010.1)
Master Schedule and look-ahead Milestones
Milestones are very useful ways of representing when the project achieves a major goal, whether you want to track that at the master schedule activity level, or go in more detail at the look-ahead task level, Reconstruct allows you to add at both levels:
Creating Multiple Activities and Tasks with CSV uploads
If you wish to add more than 1 master schedule activity or look-ahead task at a time, instead of creating them 1 at a time using the process described above, you may upload a .CSV file containing the necessary information on all new master schedule activities or look-ahead tasks you wish to add. To perform a CSV upload using the right template, follow the steps described below:
- On the Schedule pane, click the Export Schedule Data button located at the top
- Select to Include Activity Progress and format as a CSV and click Export
- To add master schedule activities, open the downloaded file and add the information at the bottom of the list (the platform needs at least an ID, a Task Name, and Plan Start and End dates)
- To add look-ahead tasks, follow the same steps, but make sure to include the ID of the parent activity at the beginning of the new look-ahead tasks as previously recommended
- Save the file
- On the viewer, while in edit mode, click on the "Upload Schedule from CSV" button located at the top of the schedule pane.
- Your new master schedule activities and look-ahead tasks will now appear as part of your current schedule.